RTÉ Published: June 19, 2017
Job Type :Full-time
Location: Dublin 4
Salary: EUR 45802- 58661 per annum
RTÉ is Ireland’s national public service media organisation. A leader in Irish media, RTÉ provides comprehensive, cost-effective, free-to-air multimedia services to the public in Ireland and interested audiences internationally.
RTÉ is seeking to appoint a Broadcast Engineer with initial assignment to RTÉ News Technology team. This team is currently responsible for the support and development of the technical infrastructure within the News and Current Affairs division providing a broad range of services including Broadcast and IT support, and project development work. New technologies have changed the face of broadcasting and offer candidates a rewarding and challenging career.
The main responsibilities of the post include:
- Television and Radio broadcast systems and equipment support
- IT desktop / systems support
- LAN, WAN, Broadband support
- Project development support
- Technical infrastructure fault analysis including escalating the issue to out of hour’s services.
The post holder will have a working knowledge of Operating Systems (Windows, Linux, MAC OSX) and Internet working technologies as well as an understanding of the technical aspects of broadcasting. Training for the support of the News Avid and other production systems will be given but aptitude for the above disciplines would need to be demonstrated.
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Educated to 3rd level in electronics, broadcasting, or related field
- Strong understanding of the “Video”, “Audio”, “Time Code” and “Serial Control” signal flow and design of television stations, studios and/or post-production facilities.
- Testing experience in broadcast video and audio equipment and documenting the results in a report format
- Understanding of satellite up-link solutions including Ka-band, Ku-band and IP streaming is required
- Modern professional non-linear editing solutions, shared storage and codec knowledge
- Understanding of the dynamics of cameras
- Computer workstation knowledge: installing operating systems, applications and patches
- Strong “hardware” skills: the ability to disassemble, repair, reassemble and test hardware
- Excellent organizational, written and verbal communications skills as well as attention to detail and willing to follow-up.
- Excellent analytical problem solving skills. Ability to excel in a fast-paced, self-directed, agile environment where strong technical, analytical, and problem-resolution skills are required in a team-based environment for success
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook & Power Point)
- CISCO networking certifications with video delivery systems experience
- Mobile / Remote production, ENG and Data Centre
- Practical shell scripting knowledge (Bash, Python, Perl, Ruby etc.)
The successful candidate will be flexible and adaptable, willing to learn, and will enthusiastically embrace the introduction of new systems.
The role will involve a liability for shift working.
This role is offered on a 2 year fixed-term employment contract basis on a salary scale of €45,802 to €58,661 p.a.
Candidates are invited to submit their Curriculum Vitae together with a covering letter which summarises their suitability for the above position (Attach as one document).
Staff currently serving who, at the closing date for receipt of applications, have accumulated twelve months service in RTÉ over the past two years may apply for this competition.
Closing date for receipt of applications is 5pm, Thursday 22nd June 2017.
RTÉ is an equal opportunities employer.